Canoe plants are the plants that were originally brought to Hawaii by the ancient Polynesians. The Polynesians came here by canoe, thus the name "canoe plants" was given to these plants. Although these introduced and cultivated plants are not native to Hawaii, they are an important part of its cultural heritage.
Listed below are some of the Hawaiian canoe plants.
- Aleurites moluccana – Kukui
- Artocarpus altilis – Breadfruit
- Cocos nucifera – Coconut Palm
- Cordia subcordata – Kou
- Cordyline fruticosa – Ti
- Dioscorea bulbifera – Air Yam
- Hibiscus tiliaceus – Hau
- Ipomoea cairica – Mile A Minute Vine
- Morinda citrifolia – Noni
- Pandanus tectorius – Hala
- Saccharum officinarum – Sugarcane
- Syzygium malaccense – Mountain Apple
- Thespesia populnea – Milo
- Zingiber zerumbet – Shampoo Ginger